Welcome back to National Parks and other public lands with T! On a regular basis, we’ll feature favorite photos or stories from a friend in the National Park community. Are you a National Park fan with a favorite you think would be great for this series? Send me a private message through the contact section of this blog!
About these photos»
- Place: Katmai National Park and Preserve in Alaska
- Date: August 29, 2018
- Photo Credit: Beth (ETB Travel Photography)
- Why they are some of my favorites:
- Mama Bear: While visiting Alaska, I took a four hour excursion to Katmai National Park and Preserve to see the Alaskan Coastal Brown Bears. It was a trip of a lifetime! After landing on the beach in a small plane, we walked in a single file line toward the bears. Upon getting about 25 yards away, we kneeled down and quietly watched. Some adult bears fished while cubs frolicked in the tide pools. This mama bear, however, was particularly special to me.
- Fishing: I’ve always wanted to see a grizzly bear fish. I got my wish on this visit. For a few hours we watched the bears frolicking and fishing. The bear activity was very high the day we visited, and as a result we never had to move. At one time we counted 15 grizzlies in our vicinity! After three giant leaps through the shallow water, they’d plunge face first into the pool and come up with a salmon. I particularly like this image of the bear with a tiny piece of fish left in its mouth with the gull getting out of the way. These gentle giants were fascinating. What an incredible experience!
- Alaskan Trifecta: It’s not often you can capture two grizzlies, a bald eagle, and a glacier all in one photo! It’s the epitome of Alaska. I absolutely LOVED Katmai National Park and Preserve. I was mesmerized by the beautiful creatures lazing in the sun, fishing, playing in water, and even nursing. Usually I’m good at keeping track of time, but as I quietly dug in my bag to add sunscreen, our guide said we were leaving in 15 minutes. Whaaaat?!? I could have spent days out there with the bears. Find out more at https://etbtravelphotography.com/2018/09/11/alaskan-coastal-brown-bears-unbelievable/
Meet Beth from ETB Travel Photography»
Beth Bankhead with ETB Travel Photography shares her travels around the world one image and story at a time. Her stories began ten years ago with a year long road trip following scenic byways across the USA. She visited numerous National Parks, Forests, Refuges, and Historic Sites as well as many other natural areas. Since her road trip, her travels have taken her to the North and South Poles and many places in between.