Welcome back to National Parks and other public lands with T! On a regular basis, we’ll feature favorite photos or stories from a friend in the National Park community. Are you a National Park fan with a favorite you think would be great for this series? Send me a private message through the contact section of this blog!
About these photos»
- Place: Isle Royale National Park, Michigan
- Date: August 2018
- Photo Credit: Marlene Battelle
- Why they are some of my favorites:
- We had no idea that Isle Royale would turn out to be on our list of favorite national parks. The thought of a 3+ hour boat ride to get to an island in Lake Superior was a little less than exciting so perhaps our expectations for the park were a bit on the low side. Isle Royale is a roadless wilderness park, has a short season and is the least visited national park in the lower 48. However, with 165 miles of trails you can do a lot of exploring and enjoying the scenery and the peacefulness. The photo of the moose is one of my favorites because it reminds me of “the one that got away.” We decided to go canoeing one afternoon. (Backstory – I had never been canoeing and tend to be a bit clumsy and Tom told me that every time he had gone canoeing they had dumped it.) I didn’t have waterproof containers for my camera or my phone so left both in the cabin. As we were having a lovely time, Tom told me that his canoe experiences had been in Boy Scouts and, as boys will do, they had been horsing around. Suddenly, not thirty yards from us, standing in the water was a magnificent moose. With the forested shore as a beautiful backdrop he posed perfectly. So the very best picture of the whole visit exists only in memory. https://here2where.wordpress.com/national-park-travels/isle-royale-national-park/
Meet Marlene from here2where»
Tom and I decided quite a few years ago to add visiting all the National Parks to our “bucket list”. At that time, there were 59. Since then, changes in designations have increased that number to 63. At this writing, we have been to 61 of the National Parks and an additional 80+ other national park units. We visited Acadia in July and plan to visit the last two National Parks on our list this fall as well as go to a variety of other park units. We love to be outdoors, hike, explore and learn more about the many places we visit. I like to take photos and write about our travels on my blog/website – here2where. I have a small online store using some of my photos on a variety of items. We recently bought a camper and Tom has finally decided to fully retire (I did that several years ago) so we’re looking forward to exploring more of our nation’s public lands. Our national parks are near and dear to our hearts.
Where can we find here2where?
- Website: https://here2where.wordpress.com/
- Online Store: https://www.zazzle.com/store/here2where