Welcome back to National Parks & other public lands with T! If you are seeing this on Twitter or Facebook, please visit the blog to see all of the photos and read the story by clicking the link.
As we continued up the coast, north of Kapa’a our guide pulled into a residential neighborhood and led us through what seemed like people’s back yards to Moloa’a Beach. In Hawaii, all beaches are public and even private homes must provide access to the ocean.
Once the access-way opened up onto the bay, we were treated to a fairly secluded beach area with a stream running through it.
Our guide wanted us to see it because the pilot episode of Gilligan’s Island was filmed here. When my teen asked, “What’s Gilligan’s Island?” it took a little of the wind out his sails, but hubby and I appreciated it. Alas, the S.S. Minnow is long gone.
- Wailua Falls
- Lihue Plantation Hanama‘ulu Ditch
- ʻŌpaekaʻa Falls
- Wailua River State Park
- Mount Waiʻaleʻale
- Fuji Beach
- Moloa’a Beach
- Kīlauea Point National Wildlife Refuge
- Kīlauea Lighthouse
- Hanalei National Wildlife Refuge
- Wai’oli Hui’ia Church
- NININI POINT LIGHTHOUSE
- Waimea Canyon State Park: Red Dirt Falls
- Waimea Canyon State Park: Waimea Canyon Lookout
- Waimea Canyon State Park: Waipo’o Falls
- Kōkeʻe State Park: Kalalau Lookout
- Kōkeʻe State Park: Pu’u O Kila Lookout
- Russian Fort Elizabeth State Historical Park
- Hanapepe Swinging Bridge
- Koloa Heritage Trail: Spouting Horn
- Koloa Heritage Trail: Keoneloa Bay
- Nā Pali Coast State Wilderness Park
Location: 3531 Moloaa Rd, Kilauea, HI 96754
Designation: Public Beach
Date of my visit: April 18, 2019