Welcome back to National Parks and other public lands with T!
Dixie National Forest is the largest National Forest in Utah at over 2 million acres. We passed through it, and the Red Canyon Tunnels, on our way from Zion to Bryce Canyon. These tunnels, once called the ‘Gateway to Fairyland’ were carved through the red rock to create the road to the new ‘Utah National Park’ (now known as Bryce Canyon National Park) in 1925.
Grand Staircase Escalante posts:
- Grand Staircase Escalante Monument Overview
- Dixie National Forest: Red Canyon Tunnels
- Grand Staircase Escalante: Blues Overlook (Coming Soon)
- Escalante Petrified Forest State Park (Coming Soon)
- Fishlake National Forest: Larb Overlook (Coming Soon)
Location: Rt 12, Panguitch, Utah
Designation: National Forest
Date designated or established: 9/25/1905
Date of my visit: 4/12/2017
Here is a nice, brief video of the drive through the Red Canyon Tunnels, published by The Third Videos on YouTube