I am part of a coalition of fellow park enthusiasts dedicated to promoting diversity and equity in our public lands. We’ve been collaborating on posts since mid 2020.
Each month, our group spotlights a relevant organization. These organizations are working to bridge the gap between outdoor spaces and underrepresented communities. Past features include:
- August: Black in National Parks Week
- September: Soul Trak
- October: Charles Roundtree
- November: Youth Opportunities Program
- December: Black Kids Adventures
- January: The Memorial Foundation
- February: Syatt
- March: Love Is King
- June: The Venture Out Project
- July: Wilderness Inquiry
- Sept: Girl Trek
- Oct: Greening Youth Foundation
- Nov: Native Women’s Wilderness
It’s the start of a new month and we’re continuing our ongoing community effort to showcase organizations that promote social justice, diversity and more inclusive access to public lands and nature. In December, we’re shining a light on the important work of Big City Mountaineers (BCM).
About Big City Mountaineers►
In the past 30+ years, this Colorado-based organization has given more than 10,000 young people from underrepresented urban communities the opportunity to “connect with nature and develop their strengths, skills and resilience.”
Big City Mountaineers offers professionally led, fully outfitted and free backcountry trips to kids aged 8 to 18.
On these immersive trips into nature, whether they’re overnight camping experiences or week-long expeditions, these young participants uncover their own sources of physical, emotional and psychological strength and resilience, finding confidence, serenity and joy in the process. They push themselves in ways they never could in cities, while the social, physical and mental barriers they face are also thoughtfully addressed.
If you’ve had the opportunity to experience the transformative power of nature yourself, we invite you to join us in making a donation to Big City Mountaineers. Your contribution will help to provide more kids from disinvested and underrepresented communities with a meaningful and possibly life-changing experience in America’s wilderness.
Support and Donate►
- Website: https://www.bigcitymountaineers.org
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/big_city_mountaineers
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bigcitymountaineers
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcitymtneers
- Donate: https://www.classy.org/give/140789/#!/donation/checkout